Today's Situational Awareness
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City
Here's what is driving the day:
- Derek Brown says the Utah GOP is at a crossroads.
- Lawmakers hail air quality measures passed in 2019
- Impeachment talk grips Washington.
You should also subscribe to our email here.
The UtahPolicy.com daily newsletter gets you up to speed on the top local and national news about politics and public policy. Our news is curated by Managing Editor Bryan Schott, along with help from Golden Webb. ((Click here to subscribe))
Trump: The New York Times should "beg for mercy." In a set of unhinged tweets on Tuesday morning, President Donald Trump raged at the New York Times, demanding an apology from the newspaper and calling them "truly the Enemy of the People!" - http://bit.ly/2Gx9eim
Pelosi tries to tamp down talk of impeachment. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged members of her caucus to back away from impeachment talk during a conference call on Monday - https://wapo.st/2GtZlSG
- White House aides aren't worrying too much about a possible impeachment battle, convinced Democrats in Congress would never initiate such a move - https://politi.co/2Gsy3Mx
- Trump argued on Twitter Monday that he could not be impeached and that it was the "Democrats that committed the crimes" - https://cnb.cx/2Gxcpqi
- 2020 Democratic hopeful Sen. Kamala Harris said Tuesday Congress should "take the steps toward impeachment" - https://cnn.it/2GwSQhW
- The Senate GOP is urging Congress to move on from the Mueller report - https://cnn.it/2GxP203
Trump's approval rating sinks following the Mueller report. A new survey puts Trump's approval at just 39 percent, which ties his all-time low. 57 percent of Americans disapprove of President Trump's job performance - https://politi.co/2Gzwuwy
Biden's campaign launch may be delayed. Expected campaign kick-off events in Virginia and Pennsylvania may be pushed back - http://bit.ly/2Gsx1jD
- Biden's campaign announcement will focus on a "climate of the nation" message that will directly take on President Trump - http://bit.ly/2GrcJXO
- Biden will close his charitable foundation when he finally decides to enter the race - https://nyti.ms/2GxgDi1
White House vs. Congress.
- President Trump filed a lawsuit against House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings to block a subpoena of the president's financial records - https://politi.co/2Gu0EB4
- The Trump administration instructed a former personnel security director to ignore a Congressional subpoena from the House Oversight Committee - https://wapo.st/2GwkWtD
The Supreme Court will rule on gay and transgender rights. The court agreed to take up a set of high-profile cases arguing whether federal laws prohibit discrimination against individuals based on sexual orientation or because they are transgender - https://politi.co/2GxcJp0
Herman Cain withdraws from Fed consideration. President Trump said Monday that Cain has pulled his name from consideration because of opposition from Republicans in the Senate - http://bit.ly/2GuEted
Wut? Stephen Moore, who President Trump is planning to nominate for the Federal Reserve Board, once argued women should be barred from refereeing or covering men's basketball games -- unless they are attractive - https://wapo.st/2GGJqAP
Does someone want to tell him? President Trump said Monday nobody in the White House defies his orders. Special counsel Robert Mueller's report detailed multiple instances of White House staffers and aides ignoring instructions from the president - https://cnn.it/2Gxhqzv
Social Security will be tapped out in 2035. The trust fund will only be able to pay out three-quarters of benefits to Americans when they retire - https://cnn.it/2GrWVnx
President Trump will make a state visit to the UK in June. Buckingham Palace is expected to announce the visit "shortly" according to multiple sources - https://cnn.it/2GrR41I
Greenland is melting faster than experts thought. The melting will have a significant impact on rising sea levels - https://cnn.it/2GwTdsQ
“It’s a shock to find out both which associates declined to carry out his orders, and what they declined to do. Like his former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, who did not deliver the president’s message to Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he should confine the Russia investigation to...