Iran. Iranian officials announced early Monday morning they had breached a limit on the amount of uranium they're allowed to enrich under the 2015 deal President Trump scrapped [NYT].
Troubling. Agents with the FBI and ICE have been mining state driver's license databases for a facial recognition database without the knowledge or consent of American citizens [WaPo].
- The Justice Department announced Sunday they were replacing the legal team defending the Trump administration's efforts to place a citizenship question on the 2020 Census [NYT].
- President Trump may use an executive order to put the question on the census to get around the courts [WaPo].
Trump's approval rating rises. President Donald Trump's approval rating hits the highest point of his tenure in the White House at 44%. However, more than 60% of Americans say Trump has acted in ways that are "unpresidential" [WaPo].
If you read one thing. This remarkable collaboration between the New York Times and the El Paso Times goes inside a migrant detention center to detail the terrible and heartbreaking conditions [New York Times].
- President Trump and members of his administration dismissed reports of squalid conditions at the detention centers [NYT].
Budget disaster looming. Time is growing short for Congress and the White House to agree on a budget deal to avoid another government shutdown and a potential default on the national debt [Politico].
Affordable Care Act. A federal court will hear arguments from the Trump administration and 18 GOP-led states (including Utah) in their effort to overturn the health-care law as unconstitutional. The suit could upend the 2020 presidential race [WaPo].
Tell us how you really feel. Britain's ambassador to Washington described President Trump as "inept" "insecure" and "incompetent" in a series of leaked memos [Daily Mail].
What could go wrong? Iowa and Nevada will allow caucus attendees to vote by phone in 2020, potentially boosting turnout [AP].
- Billionaire Tom Steyer is reportedly set to enter the 2020 presidential race this week [Politico].
- Some of the 23 Democrats running for the party's presidential nomination will start falling by the wayside as the natural winnowing process begins [Politico].
- Michigan Rep. Justin Amash, who announced last week he was leaving the Republican Party, would not rule out a 2020 run for president [CNN].
Trump's social media summit. Facebook and Twitter have reportedly not been invited to President Trump's social media event this week [CNN].
The lady's got potential. President Trump reportedly compared freshman Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to former Argentine first lady Eva Peron according to a forthcoming book [Bloomberg].
Germophobe in chief. President Trump, a noted germophobe, reportedly enforces strict hygiene standards for visitors to the White House [Politico].
For your radar. A quarter of Americans say they don't plan to retire [AP].