Trump surrenders on census. President Donald Trump said Thursday he would abandon his effort to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census [NYT].
Barry zeroing in on Louisiana. Tropical Storm Barry could strengthen to a Category 1 hurricane before it hits the Louisiana coast this weekend [CNN].
- New Orleans is already experiencing record flooding, and a hurricane would only worsen the situation [CNN].
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is urging Democrats to spread information about immigrants' legal rights to counter President Trump's planned immigration raids [Politico].
- The U.S. is close to reaching a "safe third country" agreement with Guatemala. Migrants would apply for asylum there rather than continuing to the U.S. [CNN].
2020. A new poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren at the top of the 2020 Democratic presidential field [NBC News].
Trade. President Trump's big re-write of NAFTA could be in trouble. Democrats running for president in 2020 are starting to assail the trade deal, while Democrats in Congress are in no hurry to consider, or even pass, the plan [Politico].
The investigations. The House Judiciary Committee approved subpoenas for a dozen aides and associates of President Trump, including son-in-law Jared Kushner and former chief of staff John Kelly [USA Today].
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says Congress should take action on raising the nation's budget caps in the next few weeks before Congress leaves for its August recess [The Hill].
- Congressional Republicans are pushing back on a White House proposal for a standalone vote on raising the debt ceiling then resuming budget talks in the fall [The Hill].
- Lawmakers are conceding they may have to pass a stopgap budget measure this fall to avoid a government shutdown [The Hill].
Pelosi vs. Ocasio-Cortez. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and her chief of staff made some controversial comments on Thursday that riled the Democratic caucus in the House. The spat highlighted generational and racial tensions that threated Democratic unity [Politico].
Hmmm. Vice President Mike Pence spiked the nomination of a conservative judge because the confirmation process could dredge up politically damaging information about Pence [Politico].
Big news if true. The U.S. is reportedly offering 12-18 months of sanction relief to North Korea in exchange for a freeze on their nuclear program [Yonhap].
World population closing in on 8 billion. That number could be close to 10 billion by 2050 [CNN].
For your radar. Starbucks will stop selling newspapers at its coffee shops in September [NY Post].