Bracing for a monster
Hurricane Dorian could strike Florida over the coming days as a category 4 hurricane with winds of 130 mph. All of Florida is under a state of emergency [CNN].
- President Donald Trump canceled a trip to Poland to remain the United States to monitor Hurricane Dorian's progress [WaPo].
Build the wall
The Trump administration is set to tap military construction funds to help build the wall on the U.S. Mexico border. Remember, Trump repeatedly promised during the 2016 campaign that Mexico would pay for the wall [CNN].
The long-anticipated report from the inspector general about former FBI director James Comey says he violated FBI policy for not turning over memos when he was fired and by leaking details of those memos to the media. The report also says there's no evidence he leaked classified information, which President Donald Trump has repeatedly accused Comey of doing [WaPo].
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu frantically tried to call President Trump to make sure he didn't meet with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif who made a surprise appearance at the G7 summit in France [Axios].
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner have reportedly discussed the possibility of replacing Vice President Mike Pence with Nikki Haley as Trump's running mate in 2020 [Political Wire].
- Only 10 Democratic presidential hopefuls have qualified for the September Democratic debate in Houston. The event will be a one-night affair [NYT].
- Women voters could spell trouble for Trump's re-election efforts next year. Polls show women voters turning against Trump by huge margins [The Hill].
Trump's personal assistant resigns
Madeleine Westerhout, President Donald Trump's longtime assistant, suddenly resigned Thursday after Trump learned she had shared details about his family during an off-the-record dinner with reporters [NYT].
Trump faked phone calls with China
President Trump claimed earlier this week he had received phone calls from China about possibly making a deal to end the trade war. Administration officials said Thursday the phone calls Trump described didn't happen the way he said they did. They also said Trump was eager to project optimism and boost markets [CNN].
- Only 13% of American companies operating in China plan to move all or part of their business out of China despite President Trump's order to do so. Only 3% of those companies plan to relocate to the U.S. [Axios].
- The Trump administration is reportedly looking into a plan to lower taxes by the amount it's taking in from tariffs [Business Insider].
- House Democrats say the Trump administration is blocking visits from House Oversight Committee staffers to border detention facilities [AP].
- Mumps has sickened hundreds of migrants being held in detention centers in 19 states [AP].
- The Trump administration has ended a "deferred action" program that allowed immigrants to avoid deportation while they or their relatives were undergoing life-saving medical treatment. Several of those immigrants have been ordered to leave the country, which they say is tantamount to a "death sentence" [NBC News].
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
A press secretary for President Trump's re-election campaign bizarrely claimed that Trump does not lie despite plenty of evidence to the contrary [CNN].
President Trump's re-election campaign sent out a video on social media featuring a logo used by a fascist group and a white supremacist website [Fast Company].
For your radar
Pending home sales fell sharply in July amid fears that the economy was heading toward recession [CNN].