Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams increased his lead over incumbent Republican Mia Love slightly on Wednesday.
Updated election numbers from Salt Lake County gave McAdams a lead of 5,414 votes over Love, which is 2.9%. Just over a third of the ballots from heavily Republican Utah County have been counted so far, which is buoying Love’s supporters as they still see a very wide path for her to overtake McAdams. Utah County is expected to update their vote totals on Friday.
Salt Lake County officials say there are still approximately 116,000 ballots remaining to be counted, while Utah County has more than 88,000 uncounted ballots.
In other close races:
- Republican Eric Hutchings lead over Democrat Edgar Harwood in HD38 narrowed to 116. Hutchings led Harwood by 165 votes on Tuesday night.
- Democrat Diane Lewis gained 2 votes on Republican Cheryl Acton in HD43. Acton leads by 251 votes in her race to win a full term in the House.
- Republican Robert Spendlove’s lead over Democrat Anthony Sudweeks in HD49 dropped to 424 after Wednesday’s update.
- Republican Bruce Cutler’s chances for a third term are fading fast as Democrat Andrew Stoddard’s lead grew by more than 200 votes in HD44.
- Prop. 4, which creates an independent redistricting commission, gained more "yes" votes on Wednesday, moving to 50.29% approve and 49.71% disapprove.