Utah's Daily Policy Resource, Brought to you by Utah Policy
Now you can listen to our in-depth interviews with Utah newsmakers and our weekly news roundup, "Bernick and Schott on politics" on Spotify.
Situational awareness - October 18, 2018
Good Thursday morning from Salt Lake City.
The 2018 midterms are less than three weeks away. Will there be a "blue wave," or will a "red wave" keep Republicans in power? Make your picks in our 2018 Election Challenge. We've got a $50 gift card for the winner - http://bit.ly/2Ed4dhj
Executive summary: Challengers in the 1st Congressional District take shots at Rob Bishop, but mostly miss. Lawmakers planning on a special session on medical marijuana in November. Trump orders federal agencies to cut their budget by 5%.
5 days until in-person early voting begins (10/23/2018)
12 days until the last day to register to vote online or in person (10/30/2018)
14 days until in-person early voting ends (11/2/2018)
19 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
102 days until the first day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (1/28/2019)
149 days until the final day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (3/14/2019)
747 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Today At Utah PolicyMia Love's campaign threatens legal action to stop 'misleading' TV ads from Democratic super PAC
Mia Love's campaign is threatening legal action against several local TV stations in an attempt to get them to stop airing an attack ad from a liberal super PAC slamming her for "illegally" raising campaign funds. Love's campaign vehemently denies any wrongdoing....
Podcast: Bernick and Schott on politics Ep. 394
Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott explain the news from a very busy week in Utah politics....
Utah's housing affordability concerns center on Salt Lake County and renters
Utah Foundation released What's the View from Your House? Housing Affordability Concerns in Utah. It reveals the results of survey findings regarding housing affordability, complementing them with key housing cost data....
Bishop escapes unscathed from 1st Congressional District debate
If you're gonna try to take down longtime Rep. Rob Bishop, it will take a much better effort than what happened Wednesday night in Logan....
Special session on legalizing medical marijuana expected mid-November
Look for a special legislative session Nov. 14 or 15 to adopt the 4,000-line medical marijuana bill, heard in a legislative committee Wednesday afternoon, UtahPolicy.com is told....
State leaders announce year-end budget surplus
State leaders announced Wednesday that the State of Utah will close out the prior fiscal year (FY 2018) with a budget surplus....
Emissions-Based Maintenance looks to reduce emissions in heavy industries
Since the industrial revolution, the term heavy industry often conjures up images of looming steel mills, massive towers, and intimidating pieces of machinery....
OTHER UTAH HEADLINES
Jay Evensen: Without more control over tuition costs, Utah schools are adding to a heap of social problems
Super PACs now running TV commercials against both 4th District candidates
Mountain Accord critic seeks expanded investigation
Proposed Utah law would let violent crime victims, families seek review of open investigations
Utah panel gives early OK to bill expanding juvenile access to public defenders
Utah lawmakers question watershed protection law
Utah lawmaker says gas station sweepstakes games often amount to gambling
Many Utah families still face bigger state income tax bill, lawmakers told
Debate pits Rep. Rob Bishop against newcomer challengers
What does it cost to keep kids safe? Committee seeks $194 million for school safety, mental health
Gold stars on Utah licenses will cost millions, lawmakers told
Utah House, Senate GOP support medical marijuana bill; detractors say it won't happen
Salt Lake Tribune
Utahns favor Prop 4 to create an independent redistricting commission by a big margin, poll shows
Republican Reps. Bishop and Curtis have clear path to re-election, new poll shows
Virgin Islands GOP reports spending big to help Mia Love - but it's a scam, according to her campaign
Lawmakers push for a quick fix to driver license problem that could prevent Utahns from getting through airport security
In 1st District debate, Democrat and United Utah Party candidate cast Bishop as career politician
Outside groups spending north of $1.5 million in the Love-McAdams race
'We can't ignore the bottom line': Republican Utah lawmakers warn against skyrocketing costs under Proposition 3
Utah ends the fiscal year with a $265 million surplus
Utah lawmakers face a $100M price tag for school safety proposals
Lawmakers' first glimpse of draft medical marijuana compromise brings questions
U.S. House District 1 candidates face off in only debate at USU (Logan Herald Journal)
- President Trump ordered every agency to cut 5% from their budget for next year - https://cnn.it/2NMZvpS
- Democratic candidates for Congress have raised more than $1 billion this year - https://wapo.st/2NMZFxm
- A new survey finds senior voters are leaning toward Democratic candidates in the 2018 midterms, mostly because of Medicare and Social Security - http://bit.ly/2NPkfxv
- Americans are searching for information on how to register to vote at levels usually seen during presidential election years - https://wapo.st/2NN0mqA
- Democrats in Congress are accusing Republicans of planning to cut Medicare and Social Security to pay for the massive tax cuts passed at the end of last year - https://wapo.st/2NKIgp7
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in an interview that Republicans might attempt to repeal Obamacare if they win enough seats in the 2018 midterm elections - https://reut.rs/2NO4lmR
- U.S. intelligence agencies are becoming increasingly convinced Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bears responsibility in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi - https://nyti.ms/2NKO1Dv
- Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein defended special counsel Rod Rosenstein's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election - https://on.wsj.com/2NN1E4N
- Michael Cohen, Donald Trump's former lawyer, reportedly met with state and federal law enforcement officials who are investigating Trump's family business and charitable organization - https://cnn.it/2NNfdl5
- A record number of migrant families crossed the southern U.S. border in September after the Trump administration ended its family separation policy - https://wapo.st/2NNW56u
- Former Vice President Joe Biden says he hopes Democrats refrain from impeaching President Trump if they retake control of the House in November - https://cbsn.ws/2NPstWe
- The Fed is giving clear signals they plan to continue raising rates into the first part of 2019 - https://nyti.ms/2NJT5ba
- President Trump is attempting to put economic pressure on China by passing a series of bilateral trade agreements with several nations - https://nyti.ms/2NNeh03
- Republican Congressman Steve King endorsed white nationalist, Faith Goldy, for mayor of Toronto - http://bit.ly/2NNEVpl
- The number of traffic accidents is rising in states that have legalized marijuana according to a new study - https://bloom.bg/2NOctDI
- The CDC is warning of a polio-like illness that is paralyzing mostly children across the children - http://bit.ly/2NN01Ek
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- 1776 - The border between Maryland and Pennsylvania was established. Dubbed the "Mason-Dixon" line, it became the unofficial boundary between North and South.
- 1867 - The U.S. takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million.
- 1898 - The U.S. takes possession of Puerto Rico from Spain.
- 1954 - Texas Instruments announces the first transistor radio.
- 1959 - The Soviet Union announced that Luna 3, an unmanned space vehicle, had taken the first pictures of the far side of the moon.
Policy NewsJoin WTC Utah for a business roundtable discussion with New Zealand's Deputy Consul General
World Trade Center Utah, in partnership with the Governor's Office of Economic Development, is delighted to host a diplomatic luncheon welcoming Murray Bruges, New Zealand's Deputy Consul General in Los Angeles....
Utah executives have strong, but declining sentiment on state's economic future
The Salt Lake Chamber released the third-quarter results of the Salt Lake Chamber's 2018 CEOutlook survey....
WTC Utah-led business delegation to China strengthens economic and cultural ties
World Trade Center Utah led Utah government and business leaders on a trade mission to Shanghai and Beijing last week to broaden and strengthen the Utah-China trade relationship....
Governor's Office presents analysis of economic development plans
Gov. Gary R. Herbert, Lt. Gov. Spencer J. Cox, legislators and rural stakeholders met last week to discuss challenges and opportunities in rural Utah....
NAFTA 2.0: Learn about the USMCA from Daniel Watson, Deputy Chief Negotiator for the United States at WTC Utah's upcoming seminar
Join World Trade Center Utah, Salt Lake City and the Utah Bar for a luncheon and seminar about the new U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement....
Salt Lake Chamber hosts 2018 candidate forum
he Salt Lake Chamber, Utah's largest and longest-standing business association, held its 2018 Salt Lake Chamber Candidate Forum Tuesday at the Chamber offices in downtown Salt Lake City....
More National Headlines
Despite rampant voter enthusiasm, the reality: Many don't plan to vote in November (Washington Post)
Republicans Will Repeal Obamacare If They Get The Chance, Mitch McConnell Says (HuffPost)
Joe Biden says age a 'totally legitimate' question if he were to run for office again (CNN)
Trump proposes 5 percent budget cut for each Cabinet agency (NBC News)
Pocahontas descendant: Elizabeth Warren should 'apologize' for Native American ancestry claims (AOL)
Why Many Native Americans Are Angry With Elizabeth Warren (New York Times)
Heitkamp apologizes for naming sexual assault, abuse victims in newspaper ad (FOX News)
Florida Poll Shows Razor-Thin Senate and Gubernatorial Races (National Review)
Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren want Amazon to explain anti-union video (CNET)
Why media people are furious over Facebook's bad video metrics (Fast Company)
Fed Plans to Continue Raising Rates, Despite Trump's Ire (New York Times)
"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage." Thucydides
"Trump just got a new $1.5 million limo. It fires tear gas, has night vision, and can lay down an oil slick to make anyone chasing it spin out of control. Even crazier, Melania's bedroom door does the exact same thing." Jimmy Fallon
Subscribers may receive special messages with information about new features, special offers, or public policy messages from clients and advertisers.
Advertise With Us