Utah's Daily Policy Resource, Brought to you by Utah Policy
Want to be a part of our "Political Insider" group?
Go to this link right now and tell us why we should include you as one of our Republican or Democratic panelists?
Situational awareness - December 14, 2018
Good morning from Salt Lake City and TGIF!
This is Utah's most reliable daily political newsletter. We help get you up to speed on the most important local and national political stories of the day. Follow our social media feeds on Twitter and Facebook.
We're listening! If you have any news tips, suggestions, complaints, corrections or just want to give us some feedback, feel free to drop us an email.
Friday's essentials: Trump may need Love's vote to pass a spending bill. Federal prosecutors are investigating President Trump's inaugural committee. President Trump says he's not responsible for campaign finance violations that are sending his former lawyer to jail.
45 days until the first day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (1/28/2019)
90 days until the final day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (3/14/2019)
171 days until the municipal election filing period opens (6/3/2019)
175 days until the municipal election filing period ends (6/7/2019)
242 days to the 2019 Utah primary elections (8/13/2019)
326 days to the 2019 municipal elections (11/5/2019)
416 days to the 2020 Iowa Caucuses (2/3/2020)
690 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Today At Utah PolicyHatch walks back 'I don't care' comments about allegations against President Trump (with video)
Sen. Orrin Hatch has been roundly criticized for saying he didn't care that President Trump was implicated in two felony convictions against his former lawyer, Michael Cohen. On Friday, Hatch apologized for those comments....
Democrats are the real racists - Bernick and Schott on politics Episode #401
Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott discuss a week chock full of political news....
Bob Bernick's notebook: Dabakis may open the door for a Republican in Salt Lake City
With the "no surprise to anyone" announcement this week that retiring Utah Sen. Jim Dabakis will run next year for Salt Lake City mayor, the early race make-up provides a real opportunity for a moderate, reasonable Republican to make the final ballot....
Watch: The View's Joy Behar says Orrin Hatch 'needs to go to jail' for not standing up to Trump
Joy Behar, co-host of morning chat show "The View" had some harsh words for Sen. Orrin Hatch on Thursday morning....
Uh oh! Trump mocked Mia Love for losing. Now he needs her vote to pass a spending bill
President Trump mocked Mia Love and other Republicans for losing because they didn't embrace him enough on the campaign trail. Now he may need their votes to pass a spending bill and avoid a government shutdown before the end of the year. ...
Podcast: Bernick and Schott on politics Ep. 401
Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott discuss a week chock full of political news....
Watch: Seth Meyers says Hatch's defense of Trump shows Republicans don't care about the rule of law
Late night host Seth Meyers had some laughs at the expense of Oen. Orrin Hatch and his dismissal of news connecting President Donald Trump to two felony charges that sent his lawyer, Michael Cohen to federal prison....
OTHER UTAH HEADLINES
Op-ed: Hatch extends health care legacy by fighting patent trolls
Jay Evensen: Like swallows to Capistrano, inversions always come back
Walmart pushing for Utah to allow higher alcohol content beer in stores
Joe Biden mum on 2020 presidential run during Utah visit
Salt Lake Tribune
Editorial: Is the inland port too urgent for public input? More like too vague
Utah's Board of Education eliminates a leadership position - effectively demoting a conservative member
Did law enforcement have a seat at the table in negotiations over medical cannabis? Utah public-safety commissioner says no but that's OK.
The top Democrat in the Utah House says Summit County is gerrymandered
Cellphone taxes in Utah are among the nation's highest, which may especially hurt the poor here
Speaking to University of Utah students, Joe Biden offers no clarity about whether he'll pursue another presidential run
Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox headlines a fundraiser hosted by Gov. Herbert in what sure looks like the start of a 2020 campaign
Utah's shift of nonviolent drug criminals from prison to jail has had an unintended side effect - a treatment gap
Utah County commissioners vote no on property tax increase, expect to budget $8 million into reserves (Daily Herald)
- Congress has just one week to pass a spending bill to avoid a partial government shutdown. President Trump is pushing for $5 billion in funding for his border wall. Republicans say there's no plan right now to avoid the shutdown - https://politi.co/2GfO77r
- If Republicans cannot come up with a plan to fund the government by midnight on Dec. 21, here's what would happen in a partial shutdown - https://bloom.bg/2GeotzS
- Federal prosecutors are investigating whether foreigners illegally funneled donations to President Trump's inaugural committee and a pro-Trump super PAC - https://nyti.ms/2GgMJSc
- President Donald Trump was present at a 2015 meeting that federal prosecutors say was central to a criminal scheme to violate campaign finance laws to help Trump win the presidency - https://cnn.it/2GhEc19
- President Trump said Thursday he bears no responsibility for the campaign finance law violations that are sending his former attorney, Michael Cohen, to jail. Trump said he "never directed Cohen to break the law," and any legal problems were entirely Cohen's fault - https://politi.co/2GiyNqK
- In an interview with Fox News, President Trump said he never told Michael Cohen to break the law, and Cohen's allegations are an attempt to embarrass him - https://fxn.ws/2GgEllJ
- In his first TV interview since being sentenced to jail, Cohen said "of course" President Donald Trump knew hush money payments during the 2016 campaign to two women who alleged they had affairs with him were wrong - http://bit.ly/2GeokwE
- Marina Butina pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiring to act as a foreign agent in a plot to open up unofficial lines of communication with influential Americans in the N.R.A. and the Republican Party. She has also agreed to cooperate with prosecutors - https://nyti.ms/2GiAkNH
- President Trump is still searching for a replacement for White House chief of staff John Kelley. Trump met with former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday to discuss the job. He is also being pushed by some of his advisers to name his son-in-law Jared Kushner to the post - https://reut.rs/2GeoEv2
- The U.S. Senate sent a sharp rebuke to President Trump on Thursday by passing a resolution condemning Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi - https://cnn.it/2GhJZE9
- A 7-year-old migrant girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into custody by the Border Patrol last week - https://wapo.st/2GgR7QW
- Authorities across four countries, including the United States, are trying to discover who sent dozens of email bomb threats on Thursday afternoon. The senders said a hidden bomb would detonate unless they received a Bitcoin ransom - https://cnn.it/2GizxMx
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- 1780 - Alexander Hamilton marries Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton at the Schuyler Mansion in Albany, New York.
- 1799 - Former President George Washington died at his Mount Vernon home in Virginia.
- 1819 - Alabama becomes the 22nd state.
- 1911 - Roald Amundsen's team becomes the first to reach the South Pole.
- 1940 - Plutonium is first isolated at Berkeley, California.
- 1972 - Apollo 17 commander Eugene Cernan re-entered the lunar lander -- the last man to walk on the moon.
- 2012 - A gunman killed 27 people, including 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., then killed himself.
Policy NewsCasual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report
Weekend EventOutdoors Report-- Tribune: Feds hold biggest Utah oil and gas auction in years, setting off heightened concerns from environmentalistsNew Films-- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: Deseret News reviewConcerts-- "Chauntenette Women's Chorus: The Joy of Christmas,...
United Arab Emirates diplomats explore investment and partnership opportunities in Utah
World Trade Center Utah and the Utah Governor's Office of Economic Development hosted Mr. Saud Al Nowais, commercial counselor for the United Arab Emirates to the United States of America, and Jonathan Garon, director of commercial affairs for the Trade and Commercial Office...
CYBER 24 Episode 39 - Hacks at Facebook, Marriott raise eyebrows
As data breaches and other cybersecurity incidents continue to grab headlines, it's worth wondering whether or not the American public is growing numb to the news....
Amer Sports selects Utah for future expansion
The Governor's Office of Economic Development announced Amer Sports Winter & Outdoor Company will expand its operations in Utah, planning to add up to 155 jobs, $6.5 million in new state revenue, and up to $32 million in capital investment over the next 10 years....
National policy makers and experts stress need for technology-based economic development
Last week, business leaders, policy makers and experts from across the country convened in downtown Salt Lake City for the three-day annual SSTI conference discussing the innovation economy....
Join WTC Utah for a business roundtable discussion with Norway's Consul General
World Trade Center Utah, in partnership with the Governor's Office of Economic Development, is delighted to host a diplomatic luncheon welcoming Jo Sletbak, Consul General of Norway, and Lars Johansen, Honorary Consul General of Norway. ...
More National Headlines
Michael Cohen Pled Guilty to Something That Is Not a Crime (National Review)
Trump considering Jared Kushner for White House chief of staff (Washington Examiner)
Fears about artificial intelligence are 'very legitimate,' Google CEO says (Washington Post)
The shadow campaign for Democratic presidential nomination is well underway (Los Angeles Times)
China readying plan to widen foreign access to its economy: WSJ (CNBC)
McConnell to bring up criminal justice bill for a Senate vote (Washington Post)
Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren meet ahead of 2020 (CNN)
Trump reveals chief of staff search down to 5 candidates (FOX News)
Pelosi to press: Nonstop Trump coverage is hurting your ratings (Washington Examiner)
Donald Trump tears into GM: Mary Barra's decision was 'nasty' (Detroit Free Press)
California proposes a plan to tax text messages (CNN)
"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you." Erich Fromm
Colbert Being Colbert
"Of course, earlier this year President Trump was famously not invited to former first lady Barbara Bush's funeral. But he was welcomed today after the 'Bush family promised Trump that' the 'funeral would avoid criticizing him.' They even assured him that the choir would drown out the sound of other ex-presidents rolling in their graves!" - STEPHEN COLBERT
Subscribers may receive special messages with information about new features, special offers, or public policy messages from clients and advertisers.
Advertise With Us