Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 229th day of the year. There are 137 days left in 2016.
Utahns say Hillary Clinton should face criminal charges over her use of a private email server. Mel Brown files a lawsuit in an effort to overturn his primary loss to Logan Wilde. Donald Trump makes his pitch to Utah voters.
- 84 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 160 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 205 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Most Utahns think the FBI erred by not bringing criminal charges over Hillary Clinton‘s use of a personal email server while Secretary of State [Utah Policy].
- Rep. Mel Brown has filed a lawsuit over his nine-vote loss to Logan Wilde in June’s GOP primary election [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune].
- Donald Trump makes his pitch to Utah voters vowing he will protect religious liberty [Politico, Deseret News, Tribune].
- BYU grad and independent presidential candidate Evan McMullin has gathered enough signatures to get on Utah’s ballot in November [Tribune, Deseret News]. McMullin missed the signature deadline in California’sand is planning a lawsuit to get on the ballot there [Politico].
- A $240 million tax break to lure a proposed Facebook data center in West Jordan appears to be teetering as opposition to the plan is growing [Deseret News].
- Don Peay, a Donald Trump supporter, says Utah Republican leaders who won’t vote for the GOP nominee are “cowards” [KUTV].
- Donald Trump lays out his plan for dealing with terrorism, promising an “extreme vetting” of immigrants [The Hill].
- Rudy Guliani claims there have been no terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists on American soil, apparently forgetting the 9/11 attacks that happened when he was literally Mayor of New York [Talking Points Memo].
- Boring but important: Donald Trump‘s campaign manager Paul Manafort has been named in a corruption campaign in Ukraine as officials there are trying to unravel a web of illegal payments by the pro-Russia political party that once hired him [Washington Post].
- The notes from Hillary Clinton‘s FBI interview about her use of a private email server will be released to members of Congress [CBS News].
On this day in history:
- 1896 – The North Country gold rush began with the discovery of gold in the Klondike region of Canada’s Yukon Territory.
- 1977 – Elvis Presley died of heart failure at his home in Memphis at age 42.