Good Friday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 295th day of the year. There are 71 days left in 2016.
Donald Trump has a slim one-point lead over Evan McMullin in Utah. Trump says he will accept the results of the election, as long as he wins. Sen. Mike Lee slam’s Trump’s claims that the election is rigged against him.
- 11 days left to register to vote online in Utah (11/1/2016)
- 18 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 59 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president [12/19/2016)
- 91 days until Inauguration Day (1/20/2017)
- 94 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 139 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Friday:
- Donald Trump has a slight one-point lead over independent candidate Evan McMullin in a new poll of likely Utah voters. Hillary Clinton is in third place [Utah Policy].
- Donald Trump would probably win the election if he weren’t such a “dingleberry” [Utah Policy].
- Donald Trump reverses himself, kinda. He vows to accept the results of the 2016 election…if he’s the winner [Politico].
- Donald Trump‘s campaign spending exploded in September, disbursing $70 million [CNN]. Despite that, Trump’s does not have enough campaign cash to match Hillary Clinton‘s expected spending blitz over the final days of the campaign [Reuters]. Clinton’s campaign and other allied groups could raise $1 billion during the 2016 cycle [Huffington Post].
- Trump’s national campaign director Jim Murphy “steps back” from the campaign with less than three weeks to go until election day [Politico].
- Sen. Mike Lee says Donald Trump‘s rhetoric that the election is “rigged” against him is “dangerous” while Rep. Chris Stewart wonders if Trump’s comments had been somehow twisted against him [Tribune].
- The Salt Lake City Council and Mayor Jackie Biskupski are at odds over a proposal to allocate $30 million for affordable housing and homeless services [Deseret News].
- Sen. Brian Shiozawa is pushing for funding of medical marijuana research [Deseret News].
- Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Mike Weinholtz details his policy proposal for legalizing medical marijuana [Deseret News].
- National Education Association President Lily Eskelsen Garcia urges Utah teachers push for improvements in the educational system [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1797 – The U.S. Navy frigate Constitution, also known as Old Ironsides, was launched in Boston Harbor.
- 1805 – A British fleet commanded by Adm. Horatio Nelson defeated a French and Spanish fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar; Nelson was killed in the battle.
- 1879 – Thomas Edison invented the first practical electric incandescent lamp.