Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 327th day of the year. There are 39 days left in 2016.
Utahns oppose carrying concealed weapons in public without a permit. Donald Trump will not pursue a criminal investigation against Hillary Clinton. Trump lays out his first 100 days in office.
- 27 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president (12/19/2016)
- 59 days until Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President (1/20/2017)
- 62 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (1/23/2017)
- 107 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (3/9/2017)
- 350 days until the 2017 municipal elections (11/7/2017)
- 714 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Utahns overwhelming oppose a proposal to allow the carrying of concealed weapons in public without a permit [Utah Policy].
- There is an entirely plausible scenario that could allow Utah Democrats to win the U.S. Senate seat up for election in 2018 [Utah Policy].
- So much for “Lock Her Up!” Donald Trump will reportedly not pursue any criminal investigation into Hillary Clinton. MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski reports Trump feels Clinton “has been through enough” [Mediaite].
- Donald Trump lays out his policy plans for his first 100 days in office, which include backing out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and rolling back some environmental protections [CNN].
- Trump vs. the Media. An off-the-record meeting between Donald Trump and the heads of the big network news divisions turned into a “firing squad” as Trump reportedly dressed down those in attendance for they way he covered them during the election [New York Post]. Trump has pulled out of a scheduled meeting with the New York Times because he is upset with their coverage of his candidacy [CNN Money].
- A new poll shows most Americans think Donald Trump will do a good job as president [CNN].
- It will cost New York City $1 million per day to protect Donald Trump and his family when they are living at Trump Tower [Time].
- Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes says any talk of instituting a Muslim registry should be cause for great concern [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- A coalition of Utah businesses and conservative politicians are pushing for the Trump White House to tackle immigration reform [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- Envision Utah has started planning for how to develop the land at the Point of the Mountain once the prison is moved [Deseret News, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1963 – President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. Suspected gunman Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the 36th president of the United States.
- 1968 – The Beatles’ “White Album” was released.
- 1998 – “60 Minutes” aired video of Dr. Jack Kevorkian administering lethal drugs to a terminally ill patient.