Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the senior Republican in the United States Senate, praised President Trump for signing an executive order this morning calling for a review of national monuments—in particular, Utah’s Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments.
In recognition of Senator Hatch’s leadership on this issue, the White House asked that he attend today’s signing ceremony at the Department of the Interior.
“Today’s executive action is the culmination of months of hard work and close coordination with the White House,” Hatch said. “When I first spoke with President Trump in the Oval Office during his first week on the job, I asked for his help in addressing the Bears Ears debacle. From day one, our President has been committed to helping us fix this disaster and ensuring that our smallest counties get a fair shake. For years, I have fought to give voice to the needs of our rural communities in the debate over public lands. Time and again, past Presidents have abused their authority under the Antiquities Act to satisfy the demands of an extreme environmental agenda. But no more. Following today’s action, I look forward to working with the Trump administration to establish a new precedent of collaboration and trust between states and the federal government as we work toward a shared goal of preserving our cultural antiquities.”
President Trump Praised Hatch’s persistence, saying “I also want to recognize Senator Orrin Hatch, who believe me, he’s tough. He would call me and call me and say you’ve got to do this. Is that right? You didn’t stop. He doesn’t give up, and he is shocked that I’m doing it, but I’m doing it because it’s the right thing to do. I really have to point you out, you didn’t stop.”
Following the signing, Senator Hatch met privately with President Trump and Vice-President Pence to discuss the next steps for Bears Ears, including the review process ordered in the President’s executive action.
- January 26: On day 5 of Trump Presidency, Hatch invited to Oval Office to discuss damage caused by Bears Ears monument designation. [LINK]
- February 22: Hatch reports to state legislature on efforts with White House to address Bears Ears, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments [LINK]
- Hatch speaks on the Senate floor about impending White House action on Bears Ears [LINK]
- Hatch visits Bears Ears to speak to locals about the impact of the Bears Ears National Monument Designation [RELEASE] [VIDEO] [PICTURES]
- Hatch Previews President’s Executive Order on Senate Floor [LINK], recaps visit to Bears Ears [LINK]
- Fox News Reports: Hatch Efforts on Antiquties Act Executive Order [LINK]
- Hatch in the Washington Post: It’s time to undo the federal land grab of Bears Ears
- Hatch in the Deseret News: Working with the president to fix monumental messes
- Hatch in the Salt Lake Tribune: A Bears Ears monument would be federal overreach