Rob Porter, a top aide to President Donald Trump, has resigned following a report that he physically assaulted two ex-wives.
The Intercept reports that Porter’s first ex-wife told the FBI he physically abused her for years, and shared pictures of her with bruises allegedly caused by Porter with law enforcement and the online publication.
Senior White House aide Rob Porter physically assaulted two ex-wives, they tell @theintercept. Full story to come in the morning.
His first wife, Colbie Holderness, provided these photos from a vacation they took together in Florence, Italy: pic.twitter.com/tl3TbyGA8Y
Willoughby, 39, told DailyMail.com she was ‘walking on eggshells’ during their marriage due to his explosive anger.
Porter’s first wife Colbie Holderness confirmed to DailyMail.com: ‘He was verbally, emotionally and physically abusive and that is why I left.’
Last week, DailyMail.com revealed that Porter has been dating White House Director of Communications Hope Hicks.
When reached for comment, Porter told DailyMail.com: ‘I will not comment about these matters, beyond stating that many of these allegations are slanderous and simply false.’
CBS News confirmed that the FBI passed information about Porter’s alleged abuse to the White House during a background check before he became White House Staff Secretary.
Porter was chief of staff for Sen. Orrin Hatch from 2014 until he was tapped to join the Trump administration.
Hatch has been all over the map with his reaction to the allegations against his former chief of staff. Initially he called the charges a “vile attack on a decent man.” Less than 24 hours later, Hatch said he was “heartbroken by the allegations.” Then, on Wednesday evening, he told a reporter from NBC News that Porter should fight the allegations and not step down.
Porter has recently been linked romantically to White House Communications Director Hope Hicks.