In accordance with state statute, the following entities have announced their appointments to the Inland Port Authority Board. These appointments are effective immediately, and are not subject to confirmation. Per state law, this 11-member board will manage and conduct the business and affairs of the Inland Port Authority.
The Inland Port Authority Board will meet for the first time at 8:30 a.m. on June 18, 2018 at the State Capitol. This meeting will be open to the public.
Appointments by entity:
– Appointed by the Governor: Ben Hart, Deputy Director, Governor’s Office of Economic Development; Derek Miller, President, Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce
– Appointed by the Speaker of the House: Representative Greg Hughes, Speaker of the House
– Appointed by the President of the Senate: Senator Don Ipson, Senate District 29
– Appointed by the Salt Lake County Mayor: Councilman Mike Jensen, Salt Lake County Council District 2
– Appointed by the City Manager of West Valley City: To be determine
– Appointed by the Chairman of the Community Impact Board: Sevier County Commissioner Garth “Tooter” Ogden
Additionally, the Director of the Salt Lake County Office of Economic Development (Stuart Clason), the Executive Director of UDOT (Carlos Braceras), the Salt Lake City Council Member whose district includes the area (James Rogers, Salt Lake City Council District 1), and the designee of the Chair of the Salt Lake Airport Advisory Board (Laura Fritts), will also take their places on the board, as directed in state law.
Gov. Herbert has issued the following statement regarding the Inland Port:
“Three years ago I introduced the concept of an inland port as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Utah’s prosperity. The Inland Port will make use of prime undeveloped land to enhance Utah’s position as a world-class business destination. The legislation and funds are in place. Duty and opportunity compel us to act. By convening the Inland Port Authority, we start a powerful economic engine for the entire state and honor the law. ”
Meanwhile, Speaker Greg Hughes and Sen. James Dabakis have called a press conference to discuss a compromise framework for SB 234, Utah Inland Port Authority, and the future inland port in the Northwest Quadrant of Salt Lake County.
It will be held Tuesday, June 5, at 10:30 a.m. at Utah State Capitol – Centennial Room.