U.S. Rep. Burgess Owens (UT-04) released the following statement outlining his opposition to the “For the Politicians Act,” a massive power grab that weakens election security and keeps Washington bureaucrats in power.
“H.R.1 has nothing to do with the people and nothing to do with fortifying our country’s election system. Taxpayer-funded political campaigns, nullified voter I.D. laws, and nationalized elections are not a successful recipe for restoring faith in our democracy or protecting the voice of American voters. Not to mention, the proposed changes would drastically re-engineer our federal form of government by centralizing power in Washington. Our elections should be free and fair, not bureaucratized power grabs that benefit only the Democratic majority.”
Background on H.R.1:
- Nullifies state voter ID laws.
- Mandates same-day registration in all 50 states.
- Abolishes signature/notarization requirements for mail-in ballots.
- Mandates that absentee ballots be accepted up to 10 days after Election Day.
- Mandates states send ballots in the mail proactively.
- Forces taxpayers to pay politicians to campaign for office.