Monday’s GOP Debate in Salt Lake City Cancelled

GOP Logo 07After GOP frontrunner Donald Trump said he would not attend Monday’s Republican debate in Salt Lake City, the event at the Salt Palace has been cancelled.

USA Today reports Fox News Channel and the Republican National Committee have decided to forego the event because Ohio Governor John Kasich is also backing out of the event because Trump will not attend.

Trump claimed he did not know about the scheduled debate, and he has a commitment to speak at the AIPAC conference that same evening.

CNN Money also confirmed the debate will not be happening.

Dan Hayes, the general manager of the Salt Palace Convention Center, which was scheduled to host the debate, said he had “received verbal statements from Fox News” that the debate would no longer be taking place.

 

Two Fox News sources familiar with the decision confirmed the debate had been canceled.

 

The Utah GOP issued a statement on the cancellation of the event:

“We were thrilled that Salt Lake City, Utah was chosen as a supplemental location in the debate line-up. The Utah Republican Party was always aware that the Republican Presidential debate ran the risk of being cancelled after March 15 pending breaking developments with Presidential candidates.  We can confirm that the debate scheduled for March 21st has been cancelled by the Republican National Committee and Fox News. 

“We thank those who have expressed interest in attending the debate and are saddened by the news however, we are extremely pleased that Utah was chosen as a debate location. Utah can no longer be considered a flyover state as recent events have proven.  We will move forward and look ahead to Caucus on March 22, 2016.”