Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 362nd day of the year. There are four days remaining in 2016.
Utahns want Donald Trump to keep his promise about deporting illegals with criminal records. Barack Obama says he would have won a third term. Rep. Chris Stewart is under consideration for a job in the Trump administration.
- 24 days until Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President (1/20/2017)
- 27 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (1/23/2017)
- 72 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (3/9/2017)
- 315 days until the 2017 municipal elections (11/7/2017)
- 679 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Promise keepers. An overwhelming number of Utahns want President-elect Donald Trump to follow through on his promise to deport illegal immigrants who have criminal records [Utah Policy].
- Countdown continues. Sen. Mike Lee‘s surprisingly easy path to a second term in Washington is our #3 Utah political news story from 2016 [Utah Policy].
- A real hypothetical matchup. President Barack Obama says he would have won a third term in 2016 if he was able to run again [Politico]. Donald Trump fired back that there’s “no way” he would have lost to Obama this year [CBS News].
- Visitors from the East. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will visit Pearl Harbor with President Barack Obama on Tuesday [Wall Street Journal].
- Too early. Here are the top-15 contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020 [The Hill].
- New administration shuffle. Utah Rep. Chris Stewart is reportedly on the short list of candidates for Secretary of the Air Force in a Donald Trump administration. If Stewart gets the job, there will have to be a special election to fill his seat [Tribune, Deseret News].
- It never hurts to talk. House Speaker Greg Hughes is still talking with the incoming Donald Trump administration about a possible job in Washington [Deseret News].
- Homeless shelter costs. The amount to build four new homeless shelters in Salt Lake City could pass $40 million, which is more than Utah lawmakers allocated. That means private donors would be left to pick up the remaining tab [Tribune]. Salt Lake City businessman Pat King has pledged $4 million to help construct a homeless shelter for women in the city [Tribune].
- Snow totals. The Christmas Day snowstorm that rolled through Utah made a significant addition to Utah’s snowpack [Fox 13].
- Post Christmas violence. Fights break out at dozens of malls across the U.S. on the day after Christmas [CNN]. Social media may have played a big part in fueling the violence [CBS News].
On this day in history:
- 1831 – British naturalist Charles Darwin set out on a voyage to the Pacific Ocean aboard the HMS Beagle. Darwin’s discoveries during the nearly five-year journey helped form the basis of his theories on evolution.
- 2007 – Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in a bomb and shooting attack as she left an election rally in Rawalpindi.