The Utah State Office of Education in partnership with the National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center have chosen six sites in Utah to become pilot demonstration sites for implementing a teaching model using evidenced practices designed to improve outcomes for young children.
The programs selected for the pilot project are the Jordan School District in West Jordan, the Ogden School District in Ogden, the Sevier School Districtin Richfield, the Washington County School District in St. George, the I.J. & Jeanné Wagner Jewish Community Center in Salt Lake City, and the YMCA of Northern Utah in Ogden. All six sites are noted for their commitment to ensuring the success of every child and their history of providing high-quality early education programs.
Research has validated the effectiveness of this approach for enhancing learning outcomes for all children, including those who have, or are at risk of having, developmental delays. This approach, known as Reaching Potential through the Recommended Practices, or RP2, holds great promise for providing effective teaching strategies that help children build the foundations needed for school readiness. Programs implementing this model receive intensive training and technical assistance from professional development facilitators from the ECTA Center, as well as coaching and ongoing support from the USOE.
Additional information is available at the individual sites:
- Jordan School District: Preschool Coordinator Debbie Ballard, 801-567-8512.
- Ogden School District: Director of Special Education Peggy Dooling-Baker, 801-737-7361 or Preschool Coordinator Kari Bauman, 810-737-7360.
- Sevier School District: Preschool Coordinator Dawnanna Topham, 435-896-8776 or Special Education Director Lisa Crane, 435-896-4850.
- Washington County School District: Preschool Coordinator Kristy Andrews, 435-669-8643.
- Jewish Community Center: Director of Programming Karla Pardini, 801-581-0098.
- Northern Utah YMCA: Director of Early Childhood Education Stella Patino, 801-839-3385, ext. 52.