Good Thursday spring morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 96th day of the year. There are 268 days left in 2016.
Candidates gathering signatures need not fear being disqualified. Federal Judge David Nuffer rules against the Republican Party on SB54 . . . Sen. Jim Dabakis as SL Tribune publisher? . . . Gov. Herbert and legislative leaders might decide to hold a special session to fix legislation instead of a veto override session . . . Trump will hire ‘seasoned operatives’ to help him navigate the GOP convention.
- 16 days to the Utah Republican and Democratic State Conventions (4/23/2016)
- 32 days to the last day a veto override session may begin (5/9/2016)
- 82 days to the 2016 Utah primary election – (6/28/2016)
- 102 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 109 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 215 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 291 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 336 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Bob Bernick: Thoughts on Jim Dabakis as Salt Lake Tribune publisher [Utah Policy].
- Judge Nuffer rejects Utah GOP arguments regarding election law SB54 [Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, Fox13].
- A May special session may be a better alternative than a veto override session, says Senate Pres. Wayne Niederhauser [Utah Policy, Deseret News].
- Sen. Ted Cruz endorses Gov. Gary Herbert for re-election [Utah Policy].
- Utah County GOP is trying to punish candidates who don’t sign its ‘fitness pledge’ [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Even after defeating Trump in Wisconsin, Ted Cruz is having a hard time unifying Republican establishment [Washington Post]. Trump will hire ‘seasoned operatives’ to help him prepare for a possible contested convention [Washington Post]. George Will says Trump’s convention prep is ‘bush league’ [Washington Post].
- Trump’s plan to block remittances to Mexico to force Mexico to pay for the wall could backfire and hurt the United States [New York Times].
- State leaders are seeking independent evaluations of a possible Utah investment in a California export terminal [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Editorial: Mormon women get a tough assignment: dealing with the world refugee crisis [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Sen Orrin Hatch lauds passage of Trade Secrets Bill [Utah Policy].