Businessman Jonathan Johnson's desire to take on Gov. Gary Herbert for the GOP nomination in 2016 has been one of the worst-kept secrets in Utah politics.
Johnson officially launched his bid at this year's Republican State Convention.
Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott look at how this intra-party contest will shape the 2016 election cycle as their #6 Utah political news story of 2016.
Previous stories on our list:
- #7 - Doug Owens mounts a second challenge to Mia Love
- #8 - We said goodbye to three large figures on the Utah political landscape
- #9 - The LDS Church changes their policy toward same-sex couples in the church while deciding to stay with the Boy Scouts
- #10 - Prop. 1, which would have provided funds for transportation projects, fails in two of Utah's biggest counties
- Here are some of the stories from 2015 that didn't make our list