Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 251st day of the year. There are 115 days left in 2016.
Evan McMullin says Hillary Clinton is too corrupt to be president. Donald Trump calls for more defense spending. Sandy City puts the kibosh on a waste-to-energy project.
- 62 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 138 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 183 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Independent presidential candidate Evan McMullin calls Hillary Clinton “too corrupt” to be elected president [Utah Policy].
- Donald Trump is set to call for a big boost in defense spending and turn America’s foreign policy away from “regime change” [CBS News].
- Former Fox News personality Gretchen Carlson settles her sexual harassment lawsuit against Roger Ailes for a reported $20 million [Associated Press].
- Donald Trump is crushing Hillary Clinton among military and veteran voters by a whopping 19-points [NBC News].
- Whoops! Evan McMullin‘s campaign may have inadvertently named “Nathan Johnson” as his running mate. The campaign says the name is simply a placeholder on the ballot until he names an actual VP candidate, but in some states, the campaign will not be able to replace “Nathan Johnson” on the ballot [Politico].
- Utahns remember conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly who died over the weekend [Tribune].
- Sandy City officials pull the plug on a controversial waste-to-energy project [Tribune].
- A new rule change could allow high school athletes in Utah to change schools without any restrictions whatsoever [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Nolan Karras is named the chairman of the Weber State Univeristy board of trustees [Deseret News].
- Apple is set to unveil the iPhone 7 on Wednesday. The tech giant is reportedly removing the headphone jack from the new device [New York Times].
On this day in history:
- 1927 – TV pioneer Philo T. Farnsworth succeeded in transmitting an image through purely electronic means by using a device called an image dissector.
- 1940 – Nazi Germany launched the London Blitz, bombings that Adolf Hitler believed would soften Britain for invasion. The invasion never materialized.
- 1977 – President Jimmy Carter and Panamanian leader Omar Torrijos signed a treaty to transfer control of the Panama Canal from the United States to Panama at the end of the 20th century.
- 1996 – Rapper Tupac Shakur was shot four times in Las Vegas. He died six days later.