Good Wednesday morning and Happy “Star Wars Day” from Salt Lake City. Today is the 125th day of the year. There are 241 days left in 2016.
Ted Cruz drops out. Bernie Sanders surprises Hillary Clinton by winning the Indiana primary. Jackie Biskupski unveils her first budget proposal.
- 55 days to the 2016 Utah primary election – (6/28/2016)
- 75 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 82 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 188 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 264 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 309 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Ted Cruz has dropped out of the Republican nomination race following Donald Trump‘s win in Indiana Tuesday night, leaving Trump as the presumptive GOP nominee [The Hill, Politico, Bloomberg, New York Times].
- Nate Silver breaks down why Trump will win the GOP nomination despite all of the naysaying [FiveThirtyEight].
- Bernie Sanders wins Indiana, but Hillary Clinton keeps a big delegate lead [Politico, The Hill, Bloomberg].
- Despite winning Indiana, it’s mathematically impossible for Sanders to beat Clinton with just pledged delegates [Politico].
- A new national poll gives Hillary Clinton a 13-point lead over Donald Trump [Politico].
- Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski unveils her $259 million budget proposal, which includes employee raises and funding for streets [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News].
- Gov. Gary Herbert is airing his first television ads of the 2016 election season [Deseret News].
- Herbert’s campaign is holding a fundraiser in conjunction with a taxpayer-funded energy summit [Tribune]. Herbert makes a surprise visit to the home of a woman who has voiced criticism of some of the governor’s fundraising tactics [2 News].
- Speaker Greg Hughes gets the lowest score on the UEA’s legislative scorecard [Utah Policy].
- Hamilton, the sensational Broadway musical, earns a record 16 Tony Award nominations [CNN].
On this day in history:
- 1494 – On his second expedition to the New World, Columbus discovered Jamaica.
- 1904 – Construction began on the Panama Canal.
- 1970 – Ohio National Guardsmen killed four students at Kent State University in Ohio during a demonstration against the Vietnam War.
- 1998 – Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski was given four life sentences plus 30 years by a federal judge in a deal which spared him from the death penalty.